Advice on prevention of domestic accidents
Water damage is the most common type of damage to homes. It can have different origins (leakage, infiltration, or washing machine) and occurs unexpectedly, but it is possible to prevent it:
- Inspect water inlets and outlets regularly for leaks;
- Check the seals around windows and sanitary fittings for leaks;
- Check the connections of the washing machine regularly and avoid using it when you are away;
- Do not go out with a window open: in a storm, the room could be flooded;
- Ventilate water rooms daily to avoid humidity,
- Turn off the water supply when you are away for a long time,
- Clean gutters and water outlets regularly to avoid blockages,
- Check your water bills for abnormal consumption and possible leaks.
In case of water damage :
- Turn off the water,
- Contact your insurer
Keep the damaged goods for a possible expertise
Many fires in the home are of electrical origin. Simple gestures and a few good reflexes can help you minimize the risk of fire in your home:
- Have your installation checked if it is old
- Regularly check that electronic equipment is working properly
- Do not overload electrical outlets and avoid using multiple outlets Leave enough space around electrical appliances to prevent them from overheating
- Do not store wood or flammable materials (carpets, curtains, etc.) near a heat source
- When you go out, remember to always turn off candles, space heaters or any other electrical appliance that can heat up
- If you have a swimming pool, put the pumps and robots in a dry room
- In the event of a kitchen fire, never throw water, as contact with boiling oil could cause an explosion.
Because burglaries don’t just happen to other people, it is important to take some security measures to deter them:
- Secure your front door,
- Change the lock as soon as possible if the keys are lost,
- Lock all accesses including when you are at home,
- If you live on the ground floor or in a house, close your windows and do not leave anything of value visible from the outside.
- Install bars in front of windows not equipped with shutters
- Install an alarm or a remote monitoring system
- For your jewellery and precious objects, buy a safe
In case of prolonged absence :
- Tell your neighbours,
- Do not mention your absence on your answering machine or on social networks.
Are you affected?
Contact us now and report your claim